Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pumkin Pie recipe

This is the best pumpkin pie ever!

Here's the original recipe (my modifications are in parenthesis):
  • 1 cup sugar (or 3/4 cup agave syrup)
  • 1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • one half teaspoon ground ginger
  • one half teaspoon salt (optional, I don't use any)
  • 4 large eggs (or any equivalent egg replacement)
  • 3 cups pumpkin glop (I'll explain below)
  • 1.5 cans (12oz each) of evaporated milk (or any non-dairy equivalent, but make sure you don't STRAIGHT substitute with regular milk of any kind)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract 

To make the pumpkin glop mentioned above, use one small "pie pumpkin" for best results. None of that carving pumpkin silliness. Quarter it, and use an icecream scoop to remove the seeds inside. From here, there are a couple of ways to go about 'cooking' the pumpkin to remove the skin:

1) Place the pumpkin in a bowl with a few inches of water. Microwave for 15-20 covered or until soft.
2) Fill a cookie pan with a few inches of water. Place pumpkin pieces in pan. Roast in the oven at 350 degrees until soft (I don't remember how long this will take).
3) Steam the pumpkin pieces on the stove until soft.
4) This is our favorite method -- pressure cooker. It's like steaming on steroids :)

Any way you chose, after the pumpkin is soft, remove the skin. Mash the pulp into a nice, pureed pumpkin glop.

Combine all the above ingredients and pour into a pie crust. We chose to use a gluten/dairy-free crust we made from New Frontier's, but any crust will do. I fill it almost all the way to the top for a nice, deep pie.

Bake at 425 degrees for the first 15 min. Then turn down to 350 degrees and bake for 50-60 min. Use a knife to check the pie (it should come out clean after stabbing the pie). Let it cool, then enjoy :)


Fortunately, I remembered to take a picture before it was all gone. But only JUST BARELY! It was so stinkin delicious!

I like my pie so covered in whipped cream that you can't even see it. Haha!!

1 comment:

  1. That looks delish! I made a gluten free gravy substituting arrowroot powder and potato starch for wheat flour and it was great. I didn't know that New Frontiers had gluten free crusts. I also like pumpkin pie with lots of whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete