I know this has nothing to do with food or being healthy, but I wanted to capture this somewhere so I'd remember it.
I had surgery on my nose just almost 5 weeks ago. I broke my nose in the 8th grade, and after 2 surgeries the septum was still dramatically deviated (barely a mm of clearance in my left nostril). I finally saw the wonderful Dr. Downs about finally getting it fixed.
I went in the Monday after Fourth of July. I remember making myself almost literally sick over the idea of the IV (for those of you who are not familiar with my fear of needles, it's huge). Ryan was trying to calm me down by talking about random things that I don't remember now. They brought me back to the prep room where I changed into my gown and hopped into the bed. Panic was truly starting to set in as I realized the nurse was bringing in the needle stuff. She turned to me and said, "Now, your husband told me about your fear of needles and don't you worry! I know a few tricks to get you past it." I felt so grateful for Ryan in that moment -- to even think about telling the nurse of my fear -- I could have hugged him to death. I don't remember a lot of her trick now, but she had very logical reasons for all of them and how they worked with anatomy in general. I do remember having to take deep breathes. And then the IV was in and it was over. She started pumping drugs right away. That's when I got chatty :)
After another period of time (who knows about time when you're drugged!), they wheeled me into the operation room. Right after I transferred onto the op bed, a nurse had me remove my ring and run it out to Ryan. The anesthesiologist put a mask on my face and the doctor said "now we're only giving you oxygen right now." That was total crap. I've had plenty of oxygen AND drug-filled vapors put on my face over the years, and this was no pure-oxygen mixture. Seconds later, the anesthesiologist said "we're giving you the anesthesia now" and I thought that seems about right and then I was out. Like a log.
Now, for every other surgery I've had in my life (two nose surgeries, foot surgery), I have ALWAYS woken up crying. The pain, being by myself, hearing the beeping and other noises around me -- it all added up to me just balling my way out of sleep. This time, however, as I was waking up I felt someone stroking my hand. It was so comforting that it totally distracted me from everything else. I managed to open my eyes enough to see that it was Ryan. If I was capable of smiling, I would have. For some reason, they had let him back there with me before I had woken up, which has never happened to me before. I felt so warm and fuzzy seeing him there (feeling him there) first thing after waking up, it greatly upped my mood. I'll never forget how endearing it was to have him there.
I also remember suddenly realizing that I could breath through both nostrils. Fully. That hasn't happened in over 13 years. Even through a tube, I could feel the difference. I told Ryan "the air through my left nostril feels so cold!" I think he thought I was still doped out. Which I was, but hey.
The rest is pretty typical of nose surgery. I was sent home with pain killers, which made me nauseous so I had to get nausea pills ordered. By the third or fourth day, the tubes in my nose had plugged up with gunk (you can imagine what "gunk" is). It was not pleasant. I cried a few times because I was unable to sleep at night without mouth-breathing, which was awful. Ryan even took me to Walmart at 3 in the morning to try and find nasal solution. He really is a wonderful man :) Did I mention he took a whole week off from work to take care of me too? Truly amazing man.
A week later, the doctor took out the tubes. CRAZIEST thing ever! They were WAY larger than I thought! HUGE!! They were also like two slimy worms coming out. I don't see how Ryan sees me as sexy after that experience. But the relief was awesome. I could BREATH through BOTH NOSTRILS!! I can't say that enough. Over the next 1.5 weeks until my final appt I was paranoid that the septum would collapse -- it was SO squishy feeling. But it eventually firmed up to the lovely septum that I have today :)
No comments:
Post a Comment