Sunday, July 22, 2012

Portobello Steak

Serves 4: (use two of these for the Portobello Burger recipe later :)

> 4 whole portobello mushrooms
> 1 small onion, diced
> 2 garlic cloves, minced
> 2 cups mock beef broth (I used real beef broth because I love the taste of it)
> 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
> 2 tbsp mirin, sherry, or white wine (I used sherry cooking wine)
> 2 tsp dried thyme
> 2 tsp dried chives
> 1/2 tsp dried basil (I used a couple teaspoons of italian seasoning instead of these last three spices)

Add onion, garlic, and beef broth to a frying pan and cook for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to golden. While waiting, remove the stems from the mushrooms. Add the remaining ingredients (with the exception of the mushrooms) to the pan and turn to medium. Stir. Add the mushrooms and cover. Cook for 5 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Add water as necessary to keep mushrooms from sticking. Plate and spoon juices on top.





Ryan and I ate these with a slice of bread to help with the texture of the mushroom (we don't eat them often). It is so savory! The flavors are so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment